Sunday, December 29, 2013

Christmas 2013

Merry Christmas!  It has been a great time of year and I have been so lucky to spend it with my family.  My dad got a job out west and he will be leaving later today so I have really cherished the time we have all gotten to spend together.  It was a pretty low key situation this year.  I got up and showered and by the time I was done, the rest of the family was up and we ate cinnamon rolls and opened gifts.  We all got some pretty neat things, and of course some clothes or pajamas.  Nothing too out of the ordinary.  One of my favourite gifts would have to be the one from my brother.  I have been asking him to get me a ukulele for the past little while, hoping he would.  I don't know how to play it, but I have always wanted to learn.  It was so nice to open it Christmas morning, knowing that he got it because it would make me happy.  Now, I just have to start learning how to play it...

We spent the afternoon relaxing.  I think we watched a movie.  Oh, and of course Christmas Eve we watched 'It's A Wonderful Life', our tradition.  It is by far the greatest Christmas movie.  We usually only watch it the once a year, on Christmas Eve.  I wouldn't want it any other way.  I also called the Pinsent family Christmas Eve, and I talked the Nichla for a little while.  She is so sweet and good to me and I am so happy to be part of their lives.  Christmas dinner, we had turkey and I was so stuffed afterwards I had no room for treats for dessert.  Luckily, I was invited to Emily's house for some desserts later on in the evening.  Casey and I met over there and we did out gift exchange.  Casey had already given me my stationery and stamps, but I gave my gifts to the girls [matching pajamas] and Emily gave us a gift card, her graduation photo, a mug and candy.  So sweet and thoughtful.  We had some desserts and we chatted with each other and Emily's brother and girlfriend.  It was nice to go home and get in my cozy bed and say good-bye to Christmas for another year.

The rest of the week consisted of a little bit of shopping, watching some movies, lots of knitting and starting a book.  I caught a couple boxing day sales, but honestly I do need to stop shopping for clothes as my closet is pretty full these days.  I bought a really nice sweater before Christmas from Joe Fresh, and I just wanted to get another one so bad.  I also got a great deal at Old Navy, buy one get one a dollar.  I paid 9 dollars for two skirts, that ain't bad!  I started knitting about a week and a half ago. I got a scarf done and I have just started a headband.  Mom also made a headband for me after a failed attempt on my behalf.  It's really pretty, but I am confident with the one I am working on now.  I watched a movie with some friends from church on Boxing Day and we had rented some movies around Christmas time, but sadly none of them have been all that good.  I started a book that Mom got me for Christmas that I had asked for, Divergent.  Brittany loves the series so I figured I would start it.  It is so far, so good.  We will see how the rest of it plays out but the preview for the movie sure looks great!

I also was delighted to spend some more time with friends and family over the break.  I met up with Paul for some Starbucks the other night and we got to catch up.  Hopefully we are in a class together next semester.  I also went to my cousin Amanda's wedding reception.  She recently was married to her partner, Blair.  They have three kids together and they are really great people.  I was happy to attend the celebration of their marriage and I am happy to see them happy.  I hope I can see them more often.  It was also nice to my Aunt Karen, 'Uncle' Paul and my cousin Jason and his wife Sandi.  It was also nice to attend church today and again see friendly faces that are still glowing with Christmas cheer.

It also wouldn't be Christmas without a time to reflect on the birth of our Saviour, Jesus Christ.  I am so thankful for this birth and that it was also a sign of his everlasting love for us.  He loves us enough that he came to Earth so that we could eventually live with our Heavenly Father again.  I feel him especially this time of year, in the smallest moments.  When I see a smile on someone's face after a good deed, or just the happier state the world seems to be in.  Small and simple acts are what really increase joy this time of year.  Seeing a lady with a handful of yarn at Michaels the other day, I couldn't help but give her the basket that I was not using yet.  She was really grateful.  I also witnessed a change of heart this Christmas season and received an apology from someone who hurt me immensely.  In my heart, they are forgiven but things won't ever be the same and I hope we can both move forward in our separate ways.  I wish them all the best.
I am even more grateful for a willing young man this season that has sacrificed his time and money to serve the Lord and share his gospel.  I hope Elder Pinsent had a wonderful Christmas and I look forward to hearing from him via e-mail tomorrow.

This Christmas has been happiness, joyful and lovely.




     







No comments: