Monday, August 25, 2014

a great weekend

I had a wonderful weekend filled with many laughs and moments of happiness.  I worked on Saturday from 10-4 and it was a pretty easy shift.  No one really came around to the park so I worked on some decorations for our YSA dance this weekend.  A group came later in the afternoon so I let them be and then I was off and left.  During my shift, I was on twitter when Paper Lions announced a contest to win tickets to their show at the Mack. Earlier this summer I had wanted to go, but I just knew that I wouldn't be able to spend money on a ticket.  All I had to do was answer a question and I used their music video to give me a hint of the answer.  I won and I texted my sister as soon as I found out.  She was also at work for the day, her last day of tent sale and so I only hoped she would come with me after her busy last few days.  Once we were both home, she did agree but only after completing her ice bucket challenge.  We got ready and headed down town.  It was pretty busy this particular night with so much going on and so much to take in before the end of the summer.  It was hard to find parking so we found a spot at Holland College and walked over to the Mack.  Once we got there, [we were late], I was a little surprised by the atmosphere.  Everyone was sitting down and it was a more intimate show.  I have seen the band before in a couple of different venues, and although I like getting up and dancing more this venue was nice and fun to experience.  This was Kayla's first times seeing them.  She saw them at the announcement for the ECMA's but they only sang one song.  I liked this show because they also played some of their more acoustic songs.  After, Kayla and I took in some of the down town feel and went to Gahan House for a little bite to eat.  I got nachos and she got chicken wings, typical us.

I had to work again Sunday afternoon because my co-worker was away, but again it wasn't a busy shift. After the shift I went home and had some dinner with my family.  There was a bit of tension at home because of an issue that arose with my father in the morning.  It was tough but sometimes people just don't understand what you are going through.  After dinner, Kayla and I met up with Jocelyn and Casey and had ourselves a little photo shoot.  We had a lot of fun and I love the girls so much.  They have been wonderful friends the past two years and always gave me the support and encouragement that I needed.  After the photos, we went our separate ways which included a trip to the drive-in for Jocelyn and I.  We missed the first couple minutes of 'if I stay', but other than that it was good and it stayed true to the book.  The second movie was 'the giver'.  I was a little skeptical at first, but it turned out to be pretty awesome.  It was such an interesting perspective on a way society could be and it made me grateful for so many little things that I take for granted.  I would recommend seeing it.

Driving home after the movie, I re-played some moments of the previous 48 hours in my mind and I was filled with happiness.  With Haig coming home in just over a week, I am trying to find simplicity.  My life is about to go on a roller coaster ride and I am ready for it, but for now, I am loving the simple moments.  I know they will continue and that I can remember them all.


No comments: