Monday, January 4, 2016

What Lack I Yet?

Every month in Relief Society, a member of the presidency (leadership of the womens' organization) selects a talk that they feel inspired to teach to the group. I can't imagine what it must feel like to do this. Each woman in the room has different needs, goals and certainly we each need to hear different things for the different places we are in our lives. Our Relief Society president however really hit the spot with the talk she chose. We can all apply this in our lives.

I am grateful to know that as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I can continue to grow and progress towards my Heavenly Father and ultimately exhalation. I was reminded of this when I went to the temple last week with my husband. There was only a couple of us in the session that was going through, five people to be exact. As I sat close to my husband I could feel his spirit pondering the questions we had come to the temple with. I felt peace and assurance that my life is on the right track, regardless of my insecurities and doubts. The challenging part about this life, and my life in particular at this given moment is that a lot of the time I am questioning "how can I improve?" and "what do I need to change".

What Lack I Yet?

When we ask the question, what is keeping me from progressing, we might not get the answers that we want. When we decide to ask the question it can be scary and intimidating. However, when we ask with a sincere and humble heart, the Holy Ghost (spirit of our Godhead with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ) will speak to us, lead and guide us. When I ask what things I need to change about my life at this time, I had been reminded to:

-stop complaining
-be patient
-trust in my husband
-stay organized
-smile always

Obviously none of us will ever be perfect, but we will someday obtain perfection because Heavenly Father loves of that much. When we are striving to become better, he will bless us. "Sometimes we need to ask what we are doing right, so the Lord can lift and encourage us. He rejoices in each step we take closer to Him". Also, remember that your progression is not the same as someone else's. One sweet sister in my ward started to explain what she mean't by that statement. She explained that "your potential is yours. What you ask Heavenly Father for is specific for you. You are great in Heavenly Father's eyes. You path is different than someone else's. That GOT me as I have been struggling with feeling "behind" others in my life. I cannot be thinking in such a way. The Lord has unique experiences in store for all of us, we just need to continue to trust him and his timing.

"It is our duty to be better today than we were yesterday, and better tomorrow than we are today"  

No comments: