Monday, May 2, 2016

PS I LOVE YOU

A couple of weeks ago, I decided I wanted to read some new books. It's been a year since I've been out of school and I've hardly read a book since. I started to find some books I wanted to read and checked some prices of buying them new. I quickly shot down that idea because books are so expensive! If there is a book that I have already read and enjoyed then I might buy it. Or, if it is a book that I have been anxiously waiting to read I might buy it. Or if it is a 9.99 paperback edition, then I will usually buy it!

So I thought about getting a library card again. I haven't had one since junior high, so I thought it was about time to get one again and use the library's great online system for searching books, placing holds and renewing books. I have loved the PEI provincial libraries for a long time, but I guess I was just busy over the years that reading didn't interest me as much anymore.


The first book I checked out was PS I LOVE YOU, by Cecelia Ahern. I have loved this movie for such a long time and I always knew there was a book. I saw the book the day I went in to the library to obtain my new card. It was finally time to read it! 

I think from watching the movie for so long, I think I just might like the movie more than the book (that's a first huh?). The book goes into more detail than the movie, it includes more characters like Holly's family and it also takes place in Ireland, not the USA. One of my favorite parts about the movie is that Holly visits Ireland again after her Husband's death to remember those spots where they fell in love. 

The book however is really funny. There are somethings from the book that are really funny that would have been too complex to add into the movie, like when Holly's brother films her and her friends on a night out clubbing and turns it into a documentary that everyone hates but really loves at the same time. I do also love what the book and movie means to me, because I love LOVE letters.

This is how I felt when Haig served his mission. Although it was a very different situation I can understand how Holly must have felt opening letters from her husband every month. 

Book Rating: ***/5

No comments: