Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Sisu

The saints of Eastern Canada were blessed with the opportunity to hear and see General Authorities speak on June 5th 2016 at Mount Allison University in Sackville, New Brunswick. Elder Dale G. Renlund of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and his wife Ruth and Elder Gerrit W. Gong of the presidency of the seventy and his wife Susan spoke to all those who came from Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and a few from Newfoundland. It was a very historic and wonderful opportunity to be visited from these individuals who serve in our church.

I loved Elder Renlund's talk. One of my great friends Jen Parlee sang "Be Still My Soul" at the opening of the meeting. I can't imagine how she must have felt when he thanked her and the accompanists for the beautiful rendition. He told the congregation about the importance of the song in the Finland nation and his ancestral roots in Finland. He then shared a sacred and important word with us, sisu. The idea of sisu was the core of everything he talked about that morning, especially the concept of resilience and perseverance. Sisu is about displaying courage and resoluteness in the face of adversity.

Elder Renlund, as an apostle of Jesus Christ bestowed an apostolic blessing (a message/statement that conveys counsel, support and guidance) to the congregation to press forward, to have health and strength and to stay true to the faith. I felt weight being lifted off my shoulders as he said these words. I felt arms wrapped around me in love and support, in knowing that whatever happens these next few weeks, months and years, that everything will be okay if I stand steadfast and immovable. I hope I will be able to remember the feelings I had this day for a very long time.      

No comments: